…….His words are so powerful. All I can say it, “wow!” And I can related to this more than you know.
So, I work in a 9 floor building in Dallas. I actually work on the 5th floor. Our office does not have its own restroom, but there are facilities on each floor for our use. Since I work on the 5th floor, the majority of my “resting” is done there as well.
In the 4 or so weeks I’ve been at this job, and therefore as I’ve used the restroom, I’ve noticed some curious things!
- It always amazes me to see the number of women who use the facilities and leave without washing their hands! I mean, picture it – many are dressed very professionally (not that this should really matter), walk out of their stall, and head for the door! I am sorry, but that really grosses me out.
- Invariably, at least once a day, I enter a stall to find that the previous user hadn’t successfully flushed the toilet. And many times the oversight included, shall we say, some special gifts! While I understand sometimes that toilets don’t handle these situations to the best capacity, I usually make sure I have gotten rid of my little deposit before leaving. ESPECIALLY if my deposit is…..um…….a special one. Maybe these ladies are talking on their phones, are distracted, want to leave before anyone notices any trace of the deposit they left, or are too focused on high-tailing it out of there without washing their hands – hoping no one will notice.
- On a side note, the building I work in was built in 1955 and has worked hard at keeping the retro art deco decor throughout the building. It’s kind of awesome, actually. But it IS kind of weird to be surrounded by this neat retro vibe and seeing and using an automatic soap dispenser in the restroom! Not that everyone uses it, mind you, but that at least leaves more soap for me!
- I also notice that, for those ladies who DO wash their hands, about 37%** have a hard time getting their paper towels into the trash. I have watched, with my own eyes, women toss it in the trash’s general direction, watch the towel fall to the ground, and walk off. Wow. (Yeah, I must admit, I even said that out loud one time as I witnessed the thing occur.) I fight the urge to pick up all the towels every time I go to the restroom…..and feel sorry for the maintenance crew. I have seen public restrooms in better shape on many occasions.
Alas, that is all I have to report at this time. Hope y’all are having a great week. And yes, I said y’all. I’m in Dallas people.
** That was not determined scientifically.
I have had my turns with Destiny. I have faced Her directly and I have also ran into her when I wasn’t paying attention. Per the Merriam-Webster dictionary, destiny is “a predetermined course of events often held to be an irresistible power or agency”.
Well, I have faced destiny many times and, for many years, I held to the thought that my destiny was such:
- To be used by God in all that I do.
- To be a loving and honorable daughter, always held in esteem especially with my father
- To be a wonderful wife
- To be a success professional
I guess those look more like GOALS than items of destiny. But for many years I truly thought those items WERE my destiny! So what happens when I fall OUT of that destiny? What if I don’t feel God using me? What if the reactions of my parents indicate I am not longer their loving and honorable daughter? What happens when I get divorced? What if my career falls apart?
Well, some people like me might try to get things rolling by seeing a professional. They may even be VERY specific about telling me what my destiny is, perhaps even straight out telling me where I need to be, how things will fall into place, with whom, and everything. Yes, I am talking about a psychic. Yeah, it gets all exciting when all that info runs through your head and you think of the possibilities and the great news up ahead. But that, too, is not destiny and it is always foolish to buy in to such shenanigans to form your future steps or to act a certain way. Believe me, some of the things I was told gave me a sense of hope and excitement and I fell pretty hard when I figured out it was bogus. So, epic fail. (For my 2.78 readers, especially Christians, no need to get on your horses of disdain at this point.)
So, after a year of reflection, soul searching, and research, I realized an amazing thing – I have no freaking control, really. I am not even sure Destiny exists! But instead, there are some truths I have under-covered:
- I am a beautifully made individual. I have the love of my God, who will not forsake me. He doesn’t need me to accomplish anything. And the very moment I learned that, I think I became much more useful to Him!
- I do not need the (expressed) love of my parents or their acceptance to love them back. Whether or not they see the honor I extend to them with my very life, it does not make it not exist. And I will walk each day doing my best to carry in my actions this love for them in every facet of my life. And I do so with great appreciation for them, especially my father.
- Yes, my first marriage failed. It is too complicated to accept all blame. But that will not mean my new marriage will be a failure, or that history will repeat itself. I am hard pressed to acknowledge I am not perfect (gasp!) but will, with the love I hold for my spouse, walk in that love and yearn to be the best I can be.
- I have realized I put too much of my identity in the career I hold. While I will always do my best, work my hardest, and always yearn to improve, my job is NOT my identity. It really never was either, but I was too silly to realize that.
- My real destiny, if such thing exist, is to love my God and love my neighbor. Easier said than done! But heck, at least I can focus my efforts.
Having been on tons of drugs to address the bronchitis, ear infection, and the beginnings of a sinus infection I have (which really started 12/30/09, can you imagine?) I think I should end this blog entry now. Whew, typing is pretty darn hard!
I am not sure that I posted this here – this is my beautiful daughter Kirstie singing Christina Aguilera’s song. This was recorded on her Mac computer using an XBox headphones – aka, not that great quality. And while I am totally biased, I think she sounds pretty darn good! Enjoy!
Some of my long-term readers know that sometimes I vent a lot here. Maybe not as much as I used to (I have been accussed of “airing laundry” on this site), but I still rant and rave now and then. So, when I saw this cartoon today on my New Yorker desk calendar, I thought, “Wow, that’s me!” and got a nice chuckle out of it. So, I thought I’d share with you, too! Enjoy.
Okay, so let me start by saying I don’t hate Texas. In fact, I am loving that there is no freaking state income tax and that I haven’t paid above $2.60 a gallon for gasoline. The fact that I love my job is cool, too. So, first, let me share some more positives:
- People are often more polite; when you talk to them, they are usually very kind and even gregarious. Often, when you’re driving in neighborhoods, strangers wave to you as you pass by.
- Parents have more say in regards to their children’s schooling. And the schools overall are fantastically run.
- Having gone to Zack’s school program last week, I am amazed at how proud Texans are of their state. They pledge allegiance to the State Flag. They even have a State Song that the kids know by heart! Wow, that never happened in California!
But now, some insight that is a bit more negative.
- Texas is weak in the whole “melting pot” arena. I just don’t mean races (although, I have to admit, it is a LITTLE more diverse than I expected….), but more in other areas. For example, in California you would see people wearing jerseys for all sorts of teams from all over the country. Jets fan? No problem. Bears fan? Bring it. Here? NO WAY! You can’t even freaking BUY a jersey from a non-Texas team around here! And let me tell you, being a Vikings fan can be dangerous in Cowboys territory! It just was a little sad that there is SO MUCH tied around sports…..and I am not exaggerating – there is real hatred here towards anyone who doesn’t worship Dallas or Texas teams.
- Texas drivers are MEAN! Seriously. And it’s not just because I have California plates – this happened when I was driving Mom’s car, too. They make Valley and LA drivers look like wimps! They tailgate, even when there is so much traffic you can’t do anything about it. They cut you off. They slam on their brakes. They are just plain horribly mean! Hard to align that with the happiness that is often shared when speaking with them in person.
- I think there is a state law that you have to be republican to live here. Not sure yet about that……
I have run out of time, but will try to add more details later. And for those who are truly curious, I HAVE picked up a twang here and there, although I’ve been trying hard to avoid it! The other day I was talking about work to Deana and I said something about missing milestones……she swears I said “milestones” like I’ve lived here my entire life! I nearly spit my gum out! Dang!
And, I would be remiss to not mention how wonderfully proud of the Vikings I am! WHOOT WHOOT! I sat here surrounded by Cowboys fans (although Deana was a Vikings fan, of course!) and was getting the trash talk thrown at me during the first 2 minutes of the game. But, true to form, my team soon hushed that talk up with an outstanding performance! I am so glad that I’ve stuck with them even through the lean years and I also appreciate Favre’s talent and strength – even for an old guy!
Next week will be tough – I have also enjoyed watching New Orleans’ year of success after a tough history. I have rooted for them and hoped for the best. But, I have to put my admiration aside – my love for the Vikings has been much deeper and longer and my loyalty lies with them! I DO hope, however, that the game will be more enteraining than the stomping against Dallas! Hee hee!
Okay, to those I haven’t mentioned by name, I miss you. More later! Gina OUT!
I saw this band years ago at the Harvest Festival in Anaheim. iTunes recommended their new album and I have been enthralled since then. This specific song was in my head when I woke this morning, so I thought I’d revive the song post! And I ask you, what’s not to love about a band with a girl drummer?!?!!?! Enjoy!