“Fantastic” – an interesting word. Merriam-Webster has three definitions for the word:
1 a : based on fantasy : not real b : conceived or seemingly conceived by unrestrained fancy c : so extreme as to challenge belief : unbelievable; broadly : exceedingly large or great
2 : marked by extravagant fantasy or extreme individuality : eccentric
3 fantastic : excellent, superlative <a fantastic meal>
This WAS NOT a fantasy weekend – that would have included sunflower seeds, some wine and/or alcohol, more time with my family, and maybe even an ocean. And, honestly, Justin Timberlake did NOT cross my mind. So, one is out.
There WAS NOT lots of extravagance this weekend; I worked most of Saturday (alas, in my pajamas!), was lazy, waited for Deana to finish the last class of her teaching program, and ate in my comfy chair. So, two is out.
Yet, even with no fantasy or extravagant influences, my weekend WAS excellent, superlative in that it surpassed other (especially most recent) weekends in my history. And perhaps you will think it is a bit silly, but here is why:
- I was surrounded by family for MOST of the weekend. That included celebrating Michael’s 21st birthday on Saturday, adding my church family on Sunday, and including my extended family known as the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday. (Too bad the last didn’t include a win!)
- My dog follows me all around, no matter what. Not that THIS is anything new, but this weekend it just touched my heart. She was especially attentive.
- My church family is AMAZING! We had a beautiful service and the kids even recited their memorized Bible verse in front of the entire church! I was a proud mama! Then we spent several hours fellow-shipping over lunch which was wonderful.
- Apparently, Kenny made the All Stars on his baseball team! That kind of rocks.
- Although I had a few moments of pain on Sunday that made me nervous, and the bouts of fatigue I still experience on occasion, this weekend was a pretty “healthy” weekend! Woohoo!
- I always like when my Dad calls, which he did.
So, this might not define fantastic to you, but it sure does for me!