That would be “courtesy”!
I have touched on this topic a time or two, and as was the case in previous years, today I am really talking about the LACK of courtesy that exists today (at least in my viewable world). Some recent examples of this sad phenomenon:
- Being pushed by a grown man as he fought to get into the airport tram ahead of me
- People walking through doors and not spending 1.25 seconds to hold it open for the directly person behind them
- Consistently slamming the door leading to your shared office when entering or existing, over and over again, even though its been shared that it is loud and disruptive
- Just being oblivious – for example, walking through a grocery store as if no one else is around, your cart is not hitting others, your stopping abruptly has no consequences, and merging into “main aisles” is non existent.
- Not offering others something when you’re getting something to drink
- Not waiting for everyone to be served at a group meal before starting to eat
- Using other’s items without their permission
- Always talking about yourself and never listening to others’ stories
You get the drift. And let me tell you, I have been guilty of most of the above items in my life, so this post is NOT “Gina is perfect”. But I guess I just wanted to remind myself and maybe the 2.78 readers here that it takes US to spread courtesy to those around us. It doesn’t start when someone ELSE does it (although I admit it doesn’t hurt) but in reality we can only control ourselves. I am adding COURTESY to my daily desire to walk in the Love of Christ, because they are first cousins. And I hope that you can do so as well.
Hear hear for courtesy!